MENU
- Home
- About us
- FAQs
- Mounting
- Electrical
- Cooling
- Transmissions
- Tuning
- Photo Gallery
- Tips and Tricks
- Guestbook
- Email

LINKS
- Pennock's Fiero Forum


-
60degreev6.com Forum
 


Last Updated

08/31/2003

 


Custom Front Mount for 84-87

Many of our readers may be switching from a 4 cylinder to the DOHC, which would either necessitate purchasing a front V-6 mount from the salvage yard or manufacturing a new one from scratch. Dave Ellis AKA ltlfrari has been so kind as to provide the specs as well as a detailed write-up and pictures on how to manufacture the mount. The following is his write-up in full.

This is my solution to mounting my 95 3.4 DOHC onto an 85 cradle with a 5 speed Isuzu transmission.

I replaced the standard tranny and engine mounts with West Coast Fiero poly mounts. The tranny mounts are simple bolt up replacements for the existing mounts so I will not go into detail of those here.

As I was replacing a 4 cylinder engine with the 3.4 I did not have an existing engine mounting plate that I could use. I had read on Pennock's that an 88 V6 mount would work but when I looked at how the end of the engine aligns above the (WCF) engine mount I could not see how the bracket would fit in my situation. This is not to say there is anything wrong with the WCF mount just that so far as I can see a standard engine mounting plate would not work.



Figure 1 shows the basic engine mounting bracket that I had made from 1/4 inch steel. I made some slight changes to the actual bracket from the drawing. In particular I decided that the cutout at the lower left of the bracket where the 'foot' goes made that corner of the bracket too narrow so the cutout is not only 2 1/4 inches long and I had the guy who made my bracket notch the foot to match so that they interlock together.
The foot is simply a piece of 1/4 plate steel 4 1/4" x 2 1/2". Click picture for a larger version

 



Figure 2 shows the completed mount. To drill the holes in the foot I bolted the mount to the engine and installed the WCF mount and marked where I wanted the bolt holes to go, disassembled it and drilled the holes. I used the 3/8" bolts that came with the WCF mounts.

 



Figure 3 shows the modifed WCF engine mount. Because the WCF mount already had holes drilled in it that did not align with the new holes in my bracket I had the existing holes welded up and ground flat. Then I bolted it all up again, marked where the holes in the foot matched the WCF bracket, removed everything and drilled new holes in the WCF part.

 



Figure 4 and Figure 5 show the completed engine bracket in place.

Author: Dave Ellis AKA ltlfrari
 

Copyright 2003. All Rights Reserved.